Singer, songwriter, activist, composer – and now iPad app developer – there isn’t anything that Serj Tankian can’t do. And that’s just how he likes it.
The System of a Down frontman is back with his third solo release Harakiri. Heavily loaded with messages that evoke his desire for change, Tankian (using the abstract descriptors he’s renowned for) talks of climate change, uneducated democracy, abusive capitalism, and the need for revolution.
Having spent 2011 creating this new album, a rock musical, his second book of poetry, touring 3 continents with System of a Down, performing with the opera orchestra in his parent’s homeland of Armenia, performing his first ever concert in Beirut (the city where he was born) AND writing another 4 records in completely different genres – it’s fair to say Serj Tankian is a force to be reckoned with.
Produced at his home studio in LA, the Harakiri project also sees Tankian ‘inventing’ new ways to make unique sound. Three of the tracks on Harakiri have been written with an iPad in a process (explained in this interview) he calls music recycling. He’s just turned that process into a fully fledged iPad app that punters can now download to experiment for themselves with the Tankian concept of music recycling.
Who knows what the master of all trades will do next…
Serj sat down with Music Feeds senior journalist Patrick Abboud to ‘re-invent’ the world in one chat…
- Serj Tankian And Tom Morello Have Covered ‘Crazy Train’ And It’s As Awesome As You’d Imagine
- Listen To System Of A Down’s Serj Tankian Try His Hand At EDM
- Serj Tankian Releases ‘Oceanic Subterfuge’ Music Video From New Symphony
- Serj Tankian, Devin Townsend & Ihsahn Form Revolution Harmony, Release ‘We Are’
- Serj Tankian Releasing New Albums ‘Jazz-iz Christ’ & ‘Orca’ Midyear
- System Of A Down Are Definitely Making A New Album…Someday