The cause of Amy Winehouse’s death was not due to drugs, the official toxicology report has found. It revealed that no illegal substances were present, although alcohol was found in her system. It has not been determined whether or not that had any role in her death.
A spokesman for the family spoke In a press conference today: “Results indicate that alcohol was present but it cannot be determined as yet if it played a role in her death. The family would like to thank the police and coroner for their continuing thorough investigations and for keeping them informed throughout the process. They await the outcome of the inquest in October.”
The 27 year old singer was found dead just over a month ago in her North London apartment. The initial autopsy hadn’t made it clear how she had died.
Winehouse had spent years battling a heroin addiction, and in recent times it appeared she had come off hard drugs, but friends and family reported her alcohol consumption was still at worrying levels. Since her cancelled European tour, she had been “drinking herself into oblivion” and was having regular blackouts and seizures, and doctors had advised her to quit alcohol.
Recently the Winehouse family have announced plans to establish a charitable foundation in her legacy, to help people struggling with addiction.