One of the great survivors from the music of our parents’ day Billy Joel has revealed intentions to hang up the mic (in a live context) once and for all, using his upcoming run of Australian tour dates as the opportune moment to examine whether he still has what it takes to take the show on the road.
63 years old is a pretty solid innings, considering how big some of these dudes lived back in the day. Joel has clearly lost none of his old school ethic, explaining to news.com.au that he’d much rather tap out on his own accord than fade out ungracefully:
“I don’t want to be that guy, I don’t want to be Spinal Tap… I want to see if it’s time for me to get off the stage. There’s a time when an athlete says I can’t swing the bat anymore. So I get to feel it out…this will be a big test for me.”
Joel will be headlining the impending Stone Music Festival with Van Halen and seems fairly chuffed about returning Down Under:
“It is always fun to play Australia and I want to have fun now, have a good time.”
Stone Festival kicks off Saturday, 20th April. 4/20…Stone Fest…I see what they did there.
- AC/DC’s Brian Johnson Joins Billy Joel Onstage For Surprise Performance
- Billy Joel Announces Unprecedented Madison Square Gardens Residency
- Billy Joel Building Custom Kawasaki Motorcycle For Bruce Springsteen
- Kanye West And Paul McCartney To Headline Hurricane Sandy Relief Concert
- Paul McCartney Putting Together Covers Record?