Organisers of the Coachella Music and Arts festival might expand the two-weekend format even further next year, with the proposal to expand the festival out to a total of 5 weekends in the one year, running three consecutive weekends in the spring (Australian autumn) and another two later on in the fall (Australian spring).
According to newspaper the Desert Sun, Goldenvoice, the creators and organisers of Coachella, have handed a proposal to the city of Indio, requesting permission to expand their contract to use the Coachella location up to 2030, and expand the amount of weekends out to five. The newly proposed events would increase maximum capacities of 75,000 to 99,000 people as well.
So far, the two-weekend format dates for the 2013 event are April 12-14, 2013 and April 19-21, 2013, with the aim to produce identical events with the same lineup, art and location. Of course it’s never going to be exactly identical, and when you drop crazy things like introducing the hologram of a dead musician, it kind of ruins the next weekend’s surprise.
We also mustn’t forget about the Coachella cruise as well, which will take place in December on the S.S Coachella. Passengers will get the chance to catch the likes of Pulp, Hot Chip, Yeasayer and Sleigh Bells as they cruise through the tropical paradise of the Bahamas or Jamaica, depending on which ship they board.
- Coachella 2014 Dates Released, Early Bird Tickets Available Friday
- Coachella Festival 2013 Weekend Two, Indio, California – 19th-22nd April, 2013
- WATCH: Jimmy Kimmel Trolls Coachella Hipsters With Fake Bands
- Listen: Janelle Monáe Releases ‘Q.U.E.E.N.’ Featuring Erykah Badu
- WATCH: 2 Chainz Performs With Fall Out Boy, Major Lazer At Coachella 2013