Cypress Hill is certainly the standout act on the bill for Soundwave 2013, by which we mean they are the only hip hop act amongst a line-up of metal acts, hardcore outfits, punk rock bands and a bevvy of related sub-genres.
But that doesn’t mean the Californian collective is a fish out of water playing before headbangers. Cypress Hill have an accomplished history of playing before the likes of Metallica and Rage Against The Machine, amongst other notable hard rock and metal bands.
For the band’s drummer Eric Bobo, the performance is not so much about the music but how the music is delivered. As Bobo told Music Feeds backstage at Soundwave, both hip hop and metal can share an aggression and Cypress Hill, whose hip hop classics include Insane In The Brain and Hits From The Bong, welcome the challenge of winning over a metal crowd without nary a guitar in sight.
Check out a portion of our interview with Cypress Hill, as well as photos from the group’s sweet set from Soundwave Sydney. Full interview available soon!
Watch: Cypress Hill – The Link Between Hip Hop and Metal
- Cypress Hill: ‘Hip-Hop Is So One-Sided Right Now’
- Cypress Hill Australian Tour 2013 – Soundwave Sidewaves
- Cypress Hill – Keeping it Real
- Cypress Hill tour: Spit Synicate to play support
- Cypress Hill Announce Australian Tour Dates
- B-Real Confirms Cypress Hill To Tour Australia in September