Gorillaz/Blur’s Damon Albarn, Red Hot Chili Peppers bassist Flea, and the Afrobeat drummer Tony Allen came together last year (after meeting on a plane in 2008) to collaborate on an album named Rocketjuice and The Moon. This album has now been given a release date for March.
The album will have 18 tracks, and was recorded at Albarn’s Studio 13 in London, and features Hypnotic Brass Ensemble, the Sun Ra Arkestra trumpet player Phil Cohran, the Malian singer Fatoumata Diawara, the house producer Theo Parrish, and the South African hip hop crew M.Anifest.
Albarn explained the origin of the band and album name to the Irish Times “Someone in Lagos did the sleeve design and that’s the name he gave it, which suits me because trying to find a name for another album is always tricky”. It should be due for release in 2012.
The album will be released on the 12th March.
You can listen to tracks from the album here.
- Damon Albarn Clarifies His Unfortunate Heroin Comments
- Damon Albarn: “I Could Put A Gorillaz Album Out Next Week”
- Damon Albarn: “An Album With Noel Gallagher Is A Distinct Possibility”
- AJ Maddah: Blur Cancelled Big Day Out Over “Fisticuffs” On Tour
- Damon Albarn: “Heroin Made Me Incredibly Creative”