After the news this week that Silverchair were taking an ‘indefinite hiatus’, that is, essentially splitting up, news has emerged that frontman Daniel Johns is set to put together a solo album from the material originally meant to make up a new Silverchair album.
The Music reports that the band were in the process of putting together a new album as recently as a month ago, with Johns directing proceedings as per usual. The music was reportedly moving in a different direction to previous Silverchair work – with the possibility of a double album floated – before the threesome rather abruptly decided to go their separate ways.
Now it seems conjecture is growing that Johns may be about to turn those stray songs, recorded at the Big Jesus Burger studio in Sydney, into a solo album at some point in the future.
At least, the statement released by the band announcing their split suggested the possibility of new records. It read, “Despite our best efforts over the last year or so, it’s become increasingly clear that the spark simply isn’t there between the three of us at the moment…
“At the moment Ben’s busy in the studio recording his own music, Chris is working on various business, musical and charitable ventures while Daniel is creating a film soundtrack and working on other musical projects.”
It has also emerged that Johns may seek the help of Sleepy Jackson and Empire of the Sun fellow Luke Steele about a possible new project. That could be fairly interesting.
- Six Video Highlights From Triple J’s Beat The Drum Birthday Gig
- Daniel Johns Teases First Solo Release, ‘Aerial Love’, Coming Next Week
- Watch Daniel Johns Cover Nirvana’s ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit’ At triple j’s Beat The Drum
- Beat The Drum – Sydney, The Domain 16/01/15
- triple j’s ‘Beat The Drum’ Birthday Concert Lineup Expands
- Silverchair’s Daniel Johns Pleads Guilty To “Mid Range” Drink Driving