Image for Ex-Slayer Drummer Dave Lombardo Learned Of Replacement Via Twitter

Ex-Slayer Drummer Dave Lombardo Learned Of Replacement Via Twitter

Written by Mike Hohnen on June 3, 2013

Rather than receiving a phone call, an email or even a direct tweet, the now-former Slayer drummer Dave Lombardo has explained he only found out he’d been completely axed and replaced after reading the news on Twitter.

Last week the band announced that Paul Bostaph would once again sit behind the kit, only this time for good, but in a move that demonstrated just how out of the loop Lombardo is, remaining members Kerry King and Tom Araya declined to inform him directly.

Lombardo was ousted from the thrash metal group earlier this year, the day before the band were due to arrive in Australia for Soundwave 2013. At the time, Lombardo posted a statement to his Facebook explaining that he had discovered “90% of Slayer’s tour income was being deducted as expenses”, leaving 10% to split between the four members of the band.

After raising his concerns, he was told in no uncertain terms to put up or shut up, and was soon after informed by lawyers that he was no longer part of the Slayer. It was unclear at the time – even to Lombardo – whether or not he would return to the band.

Chances are he isn’t too concerned, though, as the drummer’s history with the band has been riddled with drama. He first tapped out in 1986 (due to similar financial concerns) before rejoining in 1987, only to drop out once more in 1992 after management insisted he tour while his first child was born. In 2001 he signed back up for the third time.

Bostaph, meanwhile, is no stranger to the relentless drums of Slayer. He’s previously been included in 4 Slayer albums – Divine Intervention (1994), Undisputed Attitude (1996), Diabolus In Musica (1998) and God Hates Us All (2001).

(Via Noise11)

Gallery: Slayer – Soundwave 2013, Sydney

Join Music Feeds on Facebook

monitoring_string = "5ddc797c5ea15f4a20f5b456893873a5"