Foals frontman Yannis Philippakis has caught the attention of UK media following an interview with Digital Spy, where the musician openly discussed his contempt for super DJ David Guetta.
During the interview, Philippakis went as far as to label Guetta’s music as “bullshit”, inspired by a “Trashy culture”.
Philippakis continued to berate Guetta, explaining that “David Guetta is basically… it’s not even something that really makes my blood boil because it is just bullshit. It is an abomination but there needs to be bad music around,” he said. “You need Jilly Cooper novels and pulp, trashy culture. Plus, some people like shit music. I don’t like David Guetta and I don’t like that style. What bothers me more really is that a lot of hip-hop is being played over those backing tracks, and I find that a shame because I like hip-hop a lot.”
He didn’t stop there. Philippakis, who is currently in Australia about to begin touring with Big Day Out, furthered his point by adding, “I can’t listen to current hip-hop because the MCing isn’t the skill of it anymore; it’s more putting it over super-garish club tracks. If you compare it to what DJ Premier was doing in the early ’90s and Rza with Wu-Tang, that’s got real artistry and grit. When I don’t hear that, it feels like hip-hop has lost something rather than progressed.”
The band are expecting their latest album Holy Fire, which will arrive February 11.
- Chvrches, SBTRKT To Feature On New Soundtrack For Ryan Gosling’s ‘Drive’
- Hardwell Named World’s Best DJ, Aussie Acts Drop Ranking
- ZZ Top Guitarist And David Guetta Record Album’s Worth Of Material
- Splendour Organisers Gave Foals “Tepid Response” To 2014 Request
- Foals Added To Splendour 2014 After Headliner Cancels
- TomorrowWorld USA 2014 Lineup Gets First Artist Announcement