During a recent appearance on famed New York hip-hop station Hot 97 — the folks responsible for the annual Summer Jam hip-hop festival event — Aussie rapper Iggy Azalea explained how she’s been forced to stop crowd surfing during her concerts due to repeated sexual assault from fans.
“I had to stop,” the rapper told the station when asked about being forced to give up her crowd surfing antics. “It’s funny because we were talking about how [on] my tour, I’m only doing like 2,000-seaters but I still have to have barriers, even if it’s like 200 people, because people try to finger me.”
“I will get lurk tweets for like a week before my show, like ‘I’m about to go to the Iggy Azalea show and I’m going to finger her,’ and I’ll see it and be like, please don’t! That’s a violation. I don’t actually like that stuff. They think I’m real slutty like, ‘She’s got a song called Pu$$y, I know what she wants.'”
“Buying my album for $12 doesn’t mean you get to finger me when I come to your city,” she added, before explaining that girls are often the culprits of the assault. “Girls will try to do it more than guys ’cause girls think it’s cool, like, ‘We’ve both got vaginas, it’s fine.’ Doesn’t make it okay,” she said.
The Change Your Life rapper said she’s even taken to wearing more layers during her shows to protect herself, saying, “I wear, no lie, two pairs of underpants and then a pair of skin-coloured tights and then my pants as like a protection barrier, because there’s just no way I’m going to be intruded.”
Watch: Iggy Azalea Discusses Getting Sexually Assaulted at Shows
- Iggy Azalea Quits Social Media: “It’s Making Me Become An Angry Person”
- Seth Sentry Talks New Album, Tour And Why Iggy Is Good For Aus Hip Hop
- Aussies Among Early Winners At 2015 Grammys
- Watch Sia, Iggy Azalea, Childish Gambino & More Read Mean Tweets About Themselves
- Truth, Lies & Sex Tapes: Iggy Azalea Bares All To Vanity Fair
- Iggy Azalea Responds To Q-Tip’s “Patronising” Hip Hop History Lesson