John Butler Trio’s loyal supporters sparked an outrage over what appeared to be the intro to the band’s popular 2003 song Zebra on a yoghurt commercial aired during the Super Bowl. The band’s management had then released a statement saying they were unaware it had been used, and would follow it up as a possible copyright issue.
This morning we received an update on the matter, with a statement released from his management saying:
“Australian musician John Butler and USA advertising agency, Poptent, the creators of the Dannon Oikos yoghurt advertisement which initially aired during the 2012 Super Bowl, have come to a satisfactory settlement in relation to the use of a song in the advertisement that bore a strong similarity to his composition “Zebra”. The advertisement will no longer contain this particular piece of music and both parties are happy this issue is behind them. We thank all JBT fans worldwide for their support on this matter. No further comment will be entered into.”
Watch the ad below and compare the two.
Watch: John Butler Trio – Zebra
- West Coast Blues N Roots Festival Reveals 2015 Lineup
- John Butler Trio, Augie March Make Coopers AMP 2014 Longlist
- Campfire Festival 2015 First Lineup Announced
- 2014 Western Australian Music Awards Nominees Announced
- John Butler Trio Postpone Shows Due To Injury
- Falls Festival 2014/2015 Lineup