Guitar gods John Frusciante, formerly of Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, formerly of The Mars Volta, having continued their musically lucrative working relationship, forming a new band dubbed Kimono Kult, with members of Bosnian Rainbows, Swahili Blonde, and more.
The band features members from Le Butcherettes, Dante Vs. Zombies, and Raw Geronimo, with Rodriguez-Lopez handling guitar, synths, strings, Teri Gender Bender on vocals and guitar, Frusciante on axe duties, Nicole Turley on bass, backing vocals, as well as trumpets and synths, Dante White-Aliano on guitar and synths, and, Laena Geronimo on violin, bass, and trumpets.
Despite the notables in the lineup, the band insist that Kimono Kult is not an “all-star” vanity project. Frusciante and Rodriguez-Lopez previously worked together on several experimental outings, including the acclaimed 2010 studio effort, Omar Rodriguez Lopez & John Frusciante.
Their debut EP, Hiding In The Light, was recorded and produced by Neurotic Yell CEO and Swahili Blonde drummer and vocalist, Nicole Turley, and is slated for release on 4th March through Neurotic Yell. It’s said to feature four tracks worth of “electro/dub/afro-beat/avant-freak/jazz.”
- Stream Antemasque’s Self-Titled Debut Album
- John Frusciante Is Working On Duran Duran’s New Album
- LISTEN: Antemasque – ‘Hangin’ in the Lurch’
- Kimbra In Studio With Mars Volta Guitarist Omar Rodriguez-Lopez
- Bosnian Rainbows Stream Self Titled Debut Album In Full
- Omar Rodriguez-Lopez’s Bosnian Rainbows Release Album Trailer & Details