Elton John, who recently raised the ire of a Russian parent’s group for fear he would violate the country’s ban on “homosexual propaganda,” has recounted the story of his private cocaine party with ex-Beatle John Lennon and the interference of one Andy Warhol.
In a recent interview with Rolling Stone, the Rocket Man detailed his friendship with John Lennon towards the end of the Beatle’s life, with the two spending much of their time getting high and, apparently, hiding from pop art pioneer Andy Warhol.
“I can remember being stoned out of our mind on coke at the Sherry-Netherland hotel,” said Sir Elton. “And at two in the morning, there would be a knock on the door…It took me five minutes to get to get the door because I was so paranoid, but it was Andy f**king Warhol.”
Going into panic mode, the Tiny Dancer hit-maker deferred to his famous friend. “I said, ‘It’s Andy Warhol,’ and [Lennon] said, ‘Don’t f**king let him in! He’ll have a camera and everything!’ So we just waited for him to leave.”
John is currently preparing to go ahead with his planned performances in Russia to show solidarity with their under-fire gay community. He is slated to play shows in Moscow on 6th December and in Kazan on 7th December.
Gallery: 15 musicians with “drug problems” worse than Elton JohnSwipe/tap ← or →
- Elton John: “Jesus Would Support Same-Sex Marriage”
- Dentist Plans To Raise John Lennon Clone As His Son
- John Lennon, Kurt Cobain, Tupac & Elvis Shill Beer In Not-Great New Ad
- Lennon Calls Out Keith Moon’s Wild Antics In Newly Surfaced Letter
- Bonnaroo 2014 Lineup Announced
- Elton John Slams Russian Anti-Gay Law During Moscow Concert