The mellow, engaging and deeply personal song styles of Josh Pyke have become almost an Australian institution, frequenting the airwaves, and can often be found in the background of many ads. Josh was recently in town performing for Select Music’s 7th Birthday bash and caught up with Music Feeds’ Mike Hohnen to talk shop, where he singled out UK singer songewriter Ed Sheeran, labelling the Lego House performer as “a bit cheeseball.”
Discussing his abilities as a storyteller, and comparisons between him and others in the same tier around the world, Pyke brought up Sheeran’s latest teenybopper smash hit The A-Team.
“I’m sure he’s a lovely guy, but his music and his lyrics are so direct that it sounds a bit cheeseball. I’m sure that I’m singing about the same stuff but just not as direct.”
Pyke is renowned for his intricate gifts of storytelling, and explained in the interview the ability to be not so direct with your music and lyrics, giving listeners the ability to mold the music around their own personal situation. Ed Sheeran has got on the nerves of a lot of Australian fans, given the oversaturation of his music through mainstream radio.
Watch: Josh Pyke Describes Ed Sheeran As “Cheeseball”
Watch the full Josh Pyke interview here.
Watch: Ed Sheeran – The A Team
*Video production by Daniel Taylor
*Interviewer – Mike Hohnen
- Ed Sheeran Makes His Debut As ‘Annie’ On ‘Jimmy Kimmel Live’
- BBC Names Ed Sheeran Most Important Figure In Black And Urban Music
- Josh Pyke’s ‘Lone Wolf’ Tour Diary: 4th – 5th July
- Man “Tricks” Girlfriend Into Marriage By Impersonating Josh Pyke
- Josh Pyke’s ‘Lone Wolf’ Tour Diary: 25th – 28th June
- Josh Pyke’s ‘Lone Wolf’ Tour Diary: 20th – 22nd June