American R&B star Lauryn Hill might be sentenced to jail after she pleaded guilty to not paying federal taxes on more than $1.5 million in earnings over three years.
Billboard reports that in a US District Court recently, Hill admitted to not filing tax returns from 2005-2007. She was charged three weeks ago and faces a maximum one-year sentence on each of the three counts.
Hill is expected to be sentenced in late November – and is planning to pay back the taxes that she owes.
After the charges were laid, Hill posted a long statement on her Tumblr page condemning pop culture’s “climate of hostility, false entitlement, manipulation, racial prejudice, sexism and ageism”. She explained that she hasn’t paid taxes since she withdrew from society to guarantee the safety and well-being of herself and her family.
After winning eight Grammy Awards, Hill has largely disappeared from public view in recent years to raise her six children, five of whom she had with Rohan Marley – the son of reggae legend Bob Marley.
- Lauryn Hill Australian Tour Dates Announced
- Lauryn Hill, St. Vincent & More Added To Vivid LIVE 2014 Lineup
- Lauryn Hill Streams New Song ‘Consumerism’
- Lauryn Hill Sentenced To 3 Months Jail For Unpaid Taxes
- Lauryn Hill Off To The Slammer For Tax Evasion After Releasing New Track
- Why Grimes Is Facing An Uphill Battle