Anthony Gonzalez from M83 has shown his outrage after his song Midnight City was used in an extremely right-wing French political party ad. The party, called Le Front National, used the track without their permission, which led Gonzalez to speak out against its use via the bands Facebook age:
(Translated from French)
“To my horror, I discovered that the Front National have been using “Midnight City” in one of their campaign videos. They are doing this without my permission, and I am appalled at their lack of artistic respect. At the very least, artists should be asked if they agree, or disagree, with being associated with a certain image or brand. Even the most commerce-minded advertising agencies and brands do so.
In general, the music of M83 is apolitical, and I refuse to be associated with any party, and particularly the Front National…”
Pitchfork reports that the video was created independently by a politician affiliated with Le Front National, and not the party itself. M83′s French record label placed a copyright claim and the video has since been pulled from the web.
Watch: M83 – Midnight City
- LISTEN: M83 – ‘I Need You’
- Arcade Fire, M83 Make Academy Award Best Original Score Longlist
- Listen: M83 Unveils Title Track To ‘Oblivion’ Soundtrack
- M83′s Anthony Gonzalez Wants To Work With Katy Perry
- Listen: M83 Announce ‘Reunion’ EP – Hear Mylo Remix
- Gonzalez Hits Back At Claims M83 Are “A Fundamentalist Cult”