A 36-year-old man who was arrested at Paul McCartney‘s Melbourne concert on Wednesday night says he was “made to look like an idiot” by police.
The man, who spoke on 3AW radio this morning but didn’t state his name, told the station, “After the first song I moved over to the walking aisle to have a bit of a dance and then all of a sudden I was arrested.
“I was escorted out of the building, I was cuffed, made to look like an absolute idiot and was put in jail until 2am this morning.”
In a statement to Music Feeds, Victoria Police say they approached the man in the aisle near his seat “after observing him becoming verbally aggressive to venue staff about 8:25pm”.
“Complaints had also been made to venue staff earlier in the night regarding the man’s behaviour to other concert attendees sitting near him,” police say.
“Police requested the man return to his seat on numerous occasions to which he refused. Police observed the man to be intoxicated and while attempting to calm him down he threatened members.
“Members then advised him he was being evicted. The man refused to leave the venue and police told the man he was under arrest for being drunk in a public place. The man resisted arrest and was subsequently handcuffed. He was lodged for [being] drunk.”
McCartney’s recent Perth show was his first Australian concert since 1993, and Music Feeds reviewer Shane Pinnegar called the concert “truly an unforgettable night”.
McCartney will continue his current Australian tour with shows in Brisbane and Sydney over the next week.