Some of the world’s leading musicians have tweeted their disbelief and support to those affected by the Brazilian nightclub tragedy, which claimed more than 230 lives overnight.
As reported earlier today, hundreds perished at the Kiss nightclub in Santa Maria after pyrotechnics malfunctioned during a performance by local pop group Gurizada Fandangueira.
Many of the deceased were found in the bathrooms after apparently mistaking them for a way out. The main exit was allegedly blocked with the bodies of those who had already perished trying to escape. A further 117 people have been injured and are recovering from the incident.
Despite having bitter differences musically, Axl Rose and his former Guns N’ Roses bandmates Slash and Duff McKagan were united in offering prayers and support for victims.
“Terribly sorry for the families and friends who lost their loved ones at the club fire in Brazil and praying for those who are hurt”, Rose tweeted.
The news also reached Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith, currently on tour with the Big Day Out here in Australia.
“Sending love and prayers to all our Brazialian friends and families…so tragic,” he tweeted.
Lady Gaga told victims, “I’m thinking of you today during this tragedy”, while Nicky Romeo echoed her words, tweeting “RIP to all victims, thoughts go out to their families.”
Check out the tweets in full below.
- Guns N’ Roses Next Album Almost Complete, Expected Out In 2014
- Yeah Yeah Yeahs’ Karen O – “Lady Gaga Lacks Originality, But Psy Makes Me Happy”
- New Study Results Will Help You Expel Catchy Tunes From Your Treacherous Brain
- Perth Fan To Sue Axl Rose After Teeth Knocked Out By Microphone
- Guns N Roses, ZZ Top – Allphones Arena, Sydney 12/03/2013