Some of the world’s leading musicians have tweeted their disbelief and support to those affected by the Brazilian nightclub tragedy, which claimed more than 230 lives overnight.
As reported earlier today, hundreds perished at the Kiss nightclub in Santa Maria after pyrotechnics malfunctioned during a performance by local pop group Gurizada Fandangueira.
Many of the deceased were found in the bathrooms after apparently mistaking them for a way out. The main exit was allegedly blocked with the bodies of those who had already perished trying to escape. A further 117 people have been injured and are recovering from the incident.
Despite having bitter differences musically, Axl Rose and his former Guns N’ Roses bandmates Slash and Duff McKagan were united in offering prayers and support for victims.
“Terribly sorry for the families and friends who lost their loved ones at the club fire in Brazil and praying for those who are hurt”, Rose tweeted.
The news also reached Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith, currently on tour with the Big Day Out here in Australia.
“Sending love and prayers to all our Brazialian friends and families…so tragic,” he tweeted.
Lady Gaga told victims, “I’m thinking of you today during this tragedy”, while Nicky Romeo echoed her words, tweeting “RIP to all victims, thoughts go out to their families.”
Check out the tweets in full below.
- Lady Gaga’s Russian Tour Promoter Cops Fine For ‘Gay Propaganda’
- Red Hot Chili Peppers Drummer Receives Death Threats Following Soccer Jersey Incident
- Lady Gaga Set To Perform First-Ever Concert In Space
- Flying Lotus Talks YouTube Music Awards: “I Don’t Really See The Point”
- New Magazine Aims To Explore Sexual Diversity In Australian Music