Young British painter Joe Simpson is working on a series of paintings of his favourite musicians, with startling results. Simpson has already completed the likes of Vampire Weekend‘s Ezra Koenig, The National‘s Matt Berninger and Sam Beam of Iron and Wine.
There’s also Mark Ronson, Maxi Jazz of Faithless and Guillemots‘ Fyfe Dangerfield. Manchester-based Simpson has finished 14 in total, with more on the way culminating in a solo exhibition later this year. Simpson’s style is to “create realistic images that utilise the conventions of cinematography to present ‘staged’, fictitious scenes where time has been stopped and extended.”
Each painting is 60cm by 60cm and is in oil on canvas. He aims to complete 30 paintings for the finished project, more information and a sample of the works can be found at his website.
- Here Are Your Triple J Hottest 100 2014 Frontrunners
- Fall Out Boy Stream New Album, Attempt ‘Uptown Funk’ Cover
- Aussies Acts Get Good Odds To Top triple j’s Hottest 100 2014
- Tame Impala’s Kevin Parker Teams With Mark Ronson For Funky New Track ‘Daffodils’
- Watch Ball Park Music Cover Vampire Weekend For 10 Years Of ‘Like A Version’
- SBTRKT & Vampire Weekend’s Ezra Koenig Collab On New Track