Young British painter Joe Simpson is working on a series of paintings of his favourite musicians, with startling results. Simpson has already completed the likes of Vampire Weekend‘s Ezra Koenig, The National‘s Matt Berninger and Sam Beam of Iron and Wine.
There’s also Mark Ronson, Maxi Jazz of Faithless and Guillemots‘ Fyfe Dangerfield. Manchester-based Simpson has finished 14 in total, with more on the way culminating in a solo exhibition later this year. Simpson’s style is to “create realistic images that utilise the conventions of cinematography to present ‘staged’, fictitious scenes where time has been stopped and extended.”
Each painting is 60cm by 60cm and is in oil on canvas. He aims to complete 30 paintings for the finished project, more information and a sample of the works can be found at his website.
- FOR Festival 2014 First Lineup Announcement
- The National: “‘Alligator’ Was The Album Where It All Clicked”
- Primavera Sound Lineup Revealed Via Short Film ‘Line-Up’
- Daft Punk, Vampire Weekend Early Winners At Grammys
- Governors Ball 2014 Announces Killer Lineup