Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan has announced that the latest incarnation of the band has commenced work on their next album, taking to Twitter to announce the good news to the world.
As NME reported, Corgan had previously stated that songwriting had already begun but, according to his latest tweet, it is today that marks the official start of the band’s process:
“Excited to announce today’s our 1st official day of writing for new SP album. Wish us luck!”
Corgan has previously said that the follow-up to last year’s Oceania will be released at the end of 2013, with the singer telling MTV Hive, “I have a title for the next album but I won’t tell. It’s going to be a cruel record. Vengeance is mine.”
Smashing Pumpkins played a blistering set to close out this year’s SXSW festival in Austin earlier this month, taking to the stage on Corgan’s 46th birthday. The band is yet to showcase any new music but did announce a hefty list of 2013 tour dates earlier this month.
No Australian dates are on the list yet but with a new album on the way, we’re pretty confident the Pumpkins are going to be making their way Down Under some time soon.
Excited to announce today’s our 1st official day of writing for new SP album. Wish us luck!
— Billy Corgan (@Billy) March 25, 2013
- Billy Corgan To Play “Sonic Impressions” Of Sufi Mystic’s Poems
- Billy Corgan Developing A Wrestling Series For AMC
- The Smashing Pumpkins Announce Two New Albums For 2015
- Billy Corgan Slams Christian Rock But Says God Is The Future Of Music
- Marilyn Manson Tells Larry King: “Billy Corgan Got Mad At Me For Saying He Looked Like Charlie Brown”