Image for Sticky Fingers’ Dylan Frost Issues His “Last” Statement On Allegations Of Racism & ViolencePhoto: Daisy Hofstetter

Sticky Fingers’ Dylan Frost Issues His “Last” Statement On Allegations Of Racism & Violence

Written by Tom Williams on April 16, 2018

Sticky Fingers frontman Dylan Frost has issued what he says will be his “last” statement addressing allegations of racism and violence, following a divisive radio interview the band gave last week after returning from a 12-month hiatus.

In his latest statement, Frost addresses criticism of comments he made during Sticky Fingers’ interview with triple j‘s ‘Hack’ program, while also giving his written accounts of two incidents in which he was alleged to have acted inappropriately.

“It’s clear all this shit’s got outta hand and we haven’t cleared the air fully,” says Frost.

“I have to admit that I said some things on triple j that weren’t intended to mean how they may have sounded… I’m not the best speaker, and have trouble finding the words on the spot, and so I have had a chance to rethink and write down what I couldn’t figure out how to say on radio.”

Responding to allegations of racism which arose after Frost attended a concert by Sydney band Dispossessed in July 2016, the singer says he was trying to “disarm the situation”.

“I was standing in a crowd that verbally interrupted the singer who was speaking about important Indigenous issues during their performance,” Frost says.

“I tried to disarm the situation by saying to the singer, ‘I have the utmost respect.’ There is video footage of this whole interaction. I am sorry members of the audience interrupted that performance which dealt with exposing the plight of Indigenous Australians.

“I need to make it clear that I did not hurl racial abuse at them. Rumours have been spread around suggesting that I’m racist. That is complete bullshit. I’ve never meant to upset Indigenous people within the community that night or any other time, but that is what happened and I should have taken the time to explain sooner.”

Addressing allegations which arose after Frost got into what he calls “a verbal mouth off with a friend and his girlfriend” in December 2016, the singer says he still regrets his actions.

“I reacted angrily to something that she said and yelled aggressively back at both of them and I’ve regretted it ever since,” he says.

“I’m sorry that she felt threatened by my behaviour. That is never ok. I’m ashamed I made a woman feel unsafe around me and I never want to put myself or anyone else in that position again.

“This is something we all feel very strongly about. Violence against women is not ok and it never will be. We absolutely feel for and support women who have been affected by abuse and we should have talked about this sooner.”

Frost goes on to say Sticky Fingers have apologised “for being ignorant to some of our previous behaviour”, but claims the band “haven’t shown enough sensitivity and care into these important issues”.

“We’re also aware that as a band we haven’t been able to articulate ourselves properly when told to address them, we are not media trained,” he says.

“We didn’t want people to feel like our answers were rehearsed, or scripted, so we usually just wing it and don’t always know the right way to say what we need to say.”

Frost says Sticky Fingers needed time off “to focus on building skills to deal with addiction and mental health”.

“This is the last time we will address these rumours, and the last time we’re gonna talk about the ‘Hack’ interview,” he says, adding that ‘Hack’ host Tom Tilley “was just doin his job”.

Read Dylan Frost’s latest statement in full, below. The frontman also released a separate statement earlier this month, prior to Sticky Fingers’ triple j interview.

Since their appearance on ‘Hack’, Sticky Fingers have announced a world tour and shared a new song called ‘Kick On’.

Dylan Frost Statement (Via Facebook)

This past week we tried to discuss the past two years and the things being said about us by the media and music community. I made a personal statement, and then the band went on Hack to all speak about our experiences.

It’s clear all this shit’s got outta hand and we haven’t cleared the air fully. I have to admit that I said some things on triple j that weren’t intended to mean how they may have sounded… I’m not the best speaker, and have trouble finding the words on the spot, and so I have had a chance to rethink and write down what I couldn’t figure out how to say on radio. My account of the allegations against me:

– On July 28, 2016 I attended a gig by punk band called Dispossessed. I was standing in a crowd that verbally interrupted the singer who was speaking about important Indigenous issues during their performance. I tried to disarm the situation by saying to the singer “I have the utmost respect.” There is video footage of this whole interaction. I am sorry members of the audience interrupted that performance which dealt with exposing the plight of Indigenous Australians. I need to make it clear that I did not hurl racial abuse at them. Rumours have been spread around suggesting that I’m racist. That is complete bullshit. I’ve never meant to upset Indigenous people within the community that night or any other time, but that is what happened and I should have taken the time to explain sooner. The whole band would never want Indigenous people in particular to think that we don’t have their backs. It’s hard to get accused of being something you’re not, particularly something you are actively against.

– Second allegation. Soon after The Dispossessed gig, on the night of December 2, 2016 I got into a verbal mouth off with a friend and his girlfriend. I reacted angrily to something that she said and yelled aggressively back at both of them and I’ve regretted it ever since. I’m sorry that she felt threatened by my behaviour. That is never ok. I’m ashamed I made a woman feel unsafe around me and I never want to put myself or anyone else in that position again. This is something we all feel very strongly about. Violence against women is not ok and it never will be. We absolutely feel for and support women who have been affected by abuse and we should have talked about this sooner.

We have apologised for being ignorant to some of our previous behaviour, and continue to regret wholeheartedly for any behaviour that intimidated, threatened, or made people feel scared around us. And we haven’t shown enough sensitivity and care into these important issues. We’re also aware that as a band we haven’t been able to articulate ourselves properly when told to address them, we are not media trained. We didn’t want people to feel like our answers were rehearsed, or scripted, so we usually just wing it and don’t always know the right way to say what we need to say.

We’ve struggled to mention these allegations in the past year and a half because everyone has needed the time to reflect and heal. We as a band wanted to educate ourselves, and speak with people in our community about how to best move forward. What we have learnt from this experience has been so valuable, and we are taking these lessons with us into the future to do everything we can to make sure nothing like this ever happens again.

We needed the time off to focus on building skills to deal with addiction and mental health so we could be ready to tour and do what we do best. We’ve realised that we still need to learn more from our past mistakes and behaviour and we’re determined to do that through community support and a sober mind frame. This is achievable for us and we’re prepared to do what it takes to maintain doing what we love most. This will be our time to show it and build faith in those that have doubted us. For those that have stuck by us, we won’t let you down either.

Some people won’t accept this and that’s ok, but we are still going to keep working at being better people.

We don’t wanna keep allowing irresponsible media outlets to keep talking shit about us. I ain’t gonna lie, these cats have gone in on us without any of the facts, or done any research. A lotta you already know that though which makes it heaps easier for us to deal with! And which is why we wanted to say this to you all directly. It would have been easier to shut up and soldier on, but we want to clear all this up for you, the fans, to have complete trust in us again.

This is the last time we will address these rumours, and the last time we’re gonna talk about the Hack interview. We’re now focussing on positive change and at this point we can only hope that everyone will allow us to do that.

P.s. Tom Tilley was just doin his job.

Dylan

Join Music Feeds on Facebook

monitoring_string = "5ddc797c5ea15f4a20f5b456893873a5"