The authority of all good Aussie music, triple j, have announced winners of this year’s J Awards, broadcasting the winners live from Melbourne this afternoon. Unlike last year’s romp away success of Gotye, who just couldn’t possibly lose an award to save his music career, it was truly hard to pick who would be the stand-out winner for Album of the Year for 2012. With names like Tame Impala, The Presets and Sarah Blasko in the mix, it could have gone any way.
But someone had to win it, and the somebody was Tame Impala with their second album Lonerism, which will act as a nice bookend to the 2010 J Award for their first album Innerspeaker. Taking out the Music Video of the Year award was Kris Moyes for his dark clip of Kirin J Callinan Way II War, Unearthed artist of the year deservedly went to The Rubens, who wowed us with Lay it Down, and have definitely been a name to look out for this year, and we’re sure they’ll emerge into something of a bigger name in years to come.
It has been an absolute rip-snorter of a year for Australian music, and as it comes to an end, it can only make us more excited for what will come up in the Aussie music scene over 2013. The next big prize to claim will be the Hottest 100; let’s see how Lonerism fairs in that.
J Awards 2012 Winners
Album of the Year
Tame Impala – Lonerism
Music Video of the Year
Kris Moyes – Kirin J Callinan Way II War
Unearthed Artist of the Year
- Watch Cloud Control & The Rubens Cover Arctic Monkeys’ ‘Do I Wanna Know?’
- Washington, The Rubens Top Inaugural ‘Lost Picnic’ Lineup
- Secret Garden Festival 2014 Drops First Lineup Announcement
- The Rubens Mash Up ‘My Gun’ With Grouplove’s ‘Ways To Go’
- Fat As Butter 2013 Second Lineup Announcement
- Falls Festival 2013/2014 Lineup Adds Johnny Marr, The Rubens, Violent Soho & More