Each year, Sundance Film Festival brings us some absolute gems of musical documentaries, including The White Stripes’ Under Great White Northern Lights. However, this year a truly special documentary will be premiered. Hosted and directed by everyone’s favourite Law & Order: SVU character, Ice-T, the Art of Rap will be shown to audiences in attendance at Sundance in Utah.
The documentary is a rare insight into the development and history of rap told through the eyes of the artists speaking out about how it happened. Featuring some of the biggest names in the industry: Kanye West, Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, Run DMC, Mos Def, Ice Cube, Nas, Xzibit, Chuck D, Q-Tip, Immortal Technique, Salt, and stacks of others, Art of Rap opens the door to the recording studio and to the streets where it all began.
However, it is going up against some tough competition, with LCD Soundsystem’s documentary Shut Up and Play the Hits also making an appearance, alongside the small budget film I Am Not a Hipster. Watch the trailer for the Art of Rap below.
- The Richest Hip-Hop Stars Of 2014 Are…
- Let Snoop Dogg Be Your Guide In ‘Call Of Duty: Ghosts’
- Kanye West Orders “Otis Redding, Mobb Deep” Style Beat For New LP
- Eminem Explains Why He Felt Threatened By Kanye West
- Profanity Study Concludes 2001 Was Rap’s Dirtiest Year