Each year, Sundance Film Festival brings us some absolute gems of musical documentaries, including The White Stripes’ Under Great White Northern Lights. However, this year a truly special documentary will be premiered. Hosted and directed by everyone’s favourite Law & Order: SVU character, Ice-T, the Art of Rap will be shown to audiences in attendance at Sundance in Utah.
The documentary is a rare insight into the development and history of rap told through the eyes of the artists speaking out about how it happened. Featuring some of the biggest names in the industry: Kanye West, Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, Run DMC, Mos Def, Ice Cube, Nas, Xzibit, Chuck D, Q-Tip, Immortal Technique, Salt, and stacks of others, Art of Rap opens the door to the recording studio and to the streets where it all began.
However, it is going up against some tough competition, with LCD Soundsystem’s documentary Shut Up and Play the Hits also making an appearance, alongside the small budget film I Am Not a Hipster. Watch the trailer for the Art of Rap below.
- Dr. Dre, Jimmy Iovine Are Being Sued For Beats Headphone Fraud
- Hear Kanye West’s New Song ‘Only One’, Featuring Paul McCartney
- Somebody Turned Kanye’s ‘Yeezus’ Into Christmas Album ‘Kreezus’
- Hacked Sony Emails Reveal Kanye West Planning “Immersive” Film Project
- Dr Dre’s 2014 Income Is The Highest Of Any Musician Ever
- Kanye Rapped His Entire New Album For Seth Rogen In The Back Of A Van