Travis Barker and Yelawolf have just released their first collaborative single called Push Em. Last month Music Feeds caught news of the duo’s upcoming Psycho White EP, which is due for release November 13. Now fans have their first taste of the punk rock hip hop hybrid, with Push Em providing rapid fire rap verses over a beat that will incite mosh pits.
In September Feeds’ reported that Tim Armstrong of Rancid was expected to feature on the EP. As it turns out, according to Rolling Stone, both Armstrong and fellow Transplants member Skinhead Rob feature on Push Em. When discussing the single and accompanying music video, Barker (who also plays in the Transplants) told Rolling Stone that Push Em brings together the intensity of punk rock and hip hop, while the clip attempts to capture the raw franticness of the music.
“The song has the energy/angst of a punk rock song with Yelawolf rapping over a double-time beat and a chorus that could instigate a fight anywhere,” Barker explained to Rolling Stone, “With the video, [director] Jason Goldwatch and I just tried to match the high energy of the song with a visual that sets the same pace. It was shot over a couple shows during Yelawolf’s current Slumerican tour and a day drive with Yela and I in my ’64 Rivi.”
Barker will be out in Australia next year with another one of his bands, Blink 182. While in Australia, Blink 182 will perform as part of Soundwave 2013 as well as playing sideshows in Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney.
Watch: Travis Barker & Yelawolf – Push Em
- Tom DeLonge Reconfirms New Blink-182 Album, Apologises For Delay
- Travis Barker Says Blink-182 Have To “Get Their Shit Together” Before Recording
- Blink-182′s Travis Barker Is Writing A Memoir
- Blink-182′s Travis Barker Teases Limp Bizkit, Scroobius Pip And Nine Inch Nails Collaboration
- Yelawolf Says White Rappers Have A Place, Lord Jamar Bites Back
- Yelawolf – Corner Hotel, Melbourne, 8/07/2013