Interview: Battleships – Indie Rock… The Boat
Battleships have added their name to an ever-increasing list of talented indie rock pop acts in Australia. The now Sydney-based band released their debut mini album To You late last year and have already found a place among their peers thanks to singles Your Words, Coming Back To You and In Retrospect.
Battleships will soon hit the road for a co-headlining national tour with fellow Sydneysiders Nantes. Before the tour begins bandmates Jordan Sturdee and Jonathan Bowden dropped by Music Feeds Studio to crank out an acoustic version of Battleships’ latest single As You’d Begun.
While in the studio Feeds’ took the opportunity to get a little background on the quickly emerging independent outfit, getting the low-down on writing songs over Skype, the affect architecture had on the band’s sound and when Battleships hope to release their proper full-length debut album.
- Writing lead single In Retrospect over Skype
- Recording mini album To You in an old sandstone classroom
- Don Bartley (Silverchair/The Vines) mastering To You
- Battleships’ music finding its way onto soundtracks and documentaries
- Needing to print more copies of To You to keep up with demand
- Distinguishing Battleships from the immense pool of Australian indie rock pop band
- Looking to show greater range on debut LP, tentatively scheduled for release in 2013