The 2014 edition of the AMID (Australasian Music Industry Directory) Power 50 has now been fully unveiled, and is topped by Michael Gudinski, executive chairman of Mushroom Group.
AMID’s annual Power 50 list compiles the most influential figures in the Australasian music world. As always, the top 50 (below) is a who’s who of the industry’s power players, and includes executives, promoters, company founders, managers and a handful artists.
“It’s a great pride to be number one,” Gudinski says in the current edition of the Australasian Music Industry Directory, via The Music. “It [holds] great significance, because we’re an independent group which gives me more power to make decisions myself.”
This year, Gudinski’s Mushroom Group helped facilitate the Rolling Stones’ 14 On Fire Tour, and dealt with all of its money-making ups and concert-cancelling downs. Gudinski’s continued hard work has moved him from number two to number one, ahead of Chugg Entertainment chairman Michael Chugg.
Gudinski replaces Soundwave festival promoter AJ Maddah at the top of the list, after Maddah slipped from first down to seventh. It’s been a rocky year for Maddah, which included the sale of his stake in Big Day Out and a poor showing for the local edition of the Warped Tour. Maddah is also responsible for Soundwave Touring and the 3Wise record label.
There are 15 new entries in this year’s Power 50, the highest being Dror Erez, who heads Australia’s largest EDM festival, Stereosonic, and enters at number 19. Harvey Lister, CEO of arena operator AEG Ogden and Claire Collins, the Bossy Music Director responsible for the promotion of artists like Gotye, Flume, Chet Faker and Lorde, have also entered the list this year.
The 2014 Power 50 sees both Richie McNeill, former Director of Totem Onelove, and iTunes Australia/New Zealand Music Director Janelle McCarthy exit the list, after both reaching the top 10 last year.
On the artistic side, this year’s largest rise goes to Adelaide singer-songwriter Sia, who jumped 25 spots to number three, and is this year’s highest-ranked artist. Roots musician John Butler is the next artist, sitting at number 32, with iconic singer-songwriter Nick Cave at number 37 and Mullumbimby pop export Iggy Azalea at number 46.
The sole producer in the top 50 is Eric J Dubowsky at number 34, who was recently named Engineer Of The Year by ARIA for his work on Chet Faker’s debut album Built On Glass.
View the full 2014 AMID Power 50 below.
AMID Power 50 2014 (Via The Music)
1. Michael Gudinski (Executive Chairman – Mushroom Group)
2. Michael Chugg (Executive Chairman – Chugg Entertainment)
3. Sia Furler (Artist)
4. George Ash (President Australasia – Universal Music Group)
5. Jessica Ducrou/Paul Piticco (Co-Directors – Splendour In The Grass)
6. Dennis Handlin (Chairman & CEO – Sony Music Entertainment Australia & New Zealand)
7. AJ Maddah (Director – Soundwave)
8. Nathan McLay/Chad Gillard (Founder & Managing Director/A&R – Future Classic)
9. Richard Kingsmill (Music Director – Triple J)
10. Millie Millgate (Executive Producer – Sounds Australia)
11. Danny Rogers (Managing Director – Lunatic Entertainment)
12. Nick O’Byrne (Executive Programmer – BIGSOUND)
13. Colin Daniels/Ashley Sellers (Managing Director/CEO & Founder – Inertia)
14. Jaddan Comerford (Founder – Unified)
15. Michael Coppel (CEO & President – Live Nation Australasia)
16. Brett Murrihy (CEO – Artist Voice)
17. Peter Noble (Director – Bluesfest)
18. Jodie Regan (Owner – Spinning Top Music)
19. Dror Erez (Director – Totem Onelove Group)
20. Tony Harlow (Managing Director – Warner Music Australia)
21. Matt Gudinski (Executive Director – Mushroom Group)
22. Dan Rosen (CEO – ARIA & PPCA)
23. Sebastian Chase (CEO – MGM Distribution)
24. Paul Dainty (CEO – Dainty Group)
25. Harvey Lister (Chairman & CEO – AEG Ogden)
26. Stephen Halpin/Rodney Little (Co-Founders – Groovin The Moo)
27. Chris Scaddan (Manager – Triple J)
28. Claire Collins (Director – Bossy Music)
29. John Wardle (Policy Director – National Live Music Office)
30. Tim Levinson (Managing Director/Artist – Elefant Traks)
31. Matt Tanner & Jaime Gough (Creative/A&R Manager/General Manager – Native Tongue)
32. John Butler (Artist)
33. Brett Cottle (CEO – APRA AMCOS)
34. Eric J Dubowsky (Producer)
35. Matt Emsell (Founder – Wonder Management)
36. Steve Mcpherson (Manager – Hillsong Music Publishing)
37. Nick Cave (Artist)
38. Johann Ponniah (Founder – I OH YOU)
39. Liam Mazzucchelli (Director – Boomtick)
40. David Walsh/Brian Ritchie (Philanthropist/Music Curator – MONA)
41. Brad Mellen (Managing Director – Mellen Events)
42. Mardi Caught (General Manager Frontline Marketing – Warner Music Australia)
43. Ben Turnbull (Director – Staple Group)
44. Denise Foley (Outgoing Executive Officer – QMusic)
45. Ian James (Managing Director – Mushroom Music Publishing)
46. Iggy Azalea (Artist)
47. Neil Ackland (CEO – Sound Alliance)
48. Richard Moffat (Festival Programmer – Groovin’ The Moo/Falls Festival)
49. Adrian Basso (President – Community Broadcasting Association Of Australia)
50. Patrick Donovan (CEO – Music Victoria)