Reformed Scottish rockers Garbage have had their Twitter account hacked – with hundreds of tweets being spurted out without their knowledge.
Spinner reports that according to The Independent, an internet troll hijacked the band’s account and tweeted hundreds of times posing as a drunk Shirley Manson.
“Getting a lot of questions about what I’m drinking. Is it that obvious I’m drunk???” the hacker wrote to Garbage’s 55,000 followers. “Vanilla Malt and a few coolers :) … There will be whipped cream and Shirley for all.”
Manson regained control of the account later in the day, but not until after the hacker sent out several spammed-up tweets, linking to various adf.ly advertisements.
“All you people saying I’m dumb. I’ve made over 19 dollars by spamming ad.fly links. I hack twitters and spam them great money,” the hacker gloated under a new identity.
Garbage have since explained the situation to fans and apologised for the string of unauthorised tweets.
It isn’t the first time Garbage has been involved in a Twitter trolling saga – Manson received hundreds of hateful tweets from an anonymous account in July, which led to Los Angeles police getting involved.
Garbage will be in Australia in February and March for the Soundwave Festival. The festival itself is sold out in all cities, however, the band may announce some sideshows in the coming months.
- Shirley Manson Calls Kanye West A “Complete Twat” In Scathing Open Letter
- Watch Shirley Manson And Brody Dalle Growl In ‘Girls Talk’
- New Garbage Album Looking Good For 2014
- Garbage, Forum Theatre – 27/02/2013
- Garbage Say “The Real Facts” On Soundwave Cancellation Will Soon Be Revealed
- AJ Maddah Says Garbage “Refused” To Rearrange Set Times