Image for Lansdowne Hotel On Fire – Traps People Inside

Lansdowne Hotel On Fire – Traps People Inside

Written by Marc Zanotti on January 11, 2013

The beloved Lansdowne Hotel has caught fire and trapped people inside the establishment. As reported by The Sydney Morning Herald, the hotel’s top floor caught fire this morning just before 8am, according to a Fire and Rescue NSW spokesman.

The spokesman also said that “people are reported to be trapped inside”. The number of people or how serious the situation is either unknown or was not divulged.

With paramedic and police on hand at the scene, the NSW Transport Management Centre advise motorists to expect delays around City Road in Chippendale.

“At present, emergency services are currently onsite attending to the blaze. Two of three southbound lanes have been blocked by emergency services,” advises the centre.

“One southbound lane (lane 3) remains open, and traffic is slowly able to pass the site of the fire.

“Although one southbound lane remains open, traffic is building in the area, and motorists are advised to avoid travel near this location.”

UPDATE: 11/01/13

The Sydney Morning Herald had tweeted that all those trapped by the fire at the Lansdowne Hotel have been accounted for and escaped without injury.

A report by ABC quotes Lansdowne Hotel pub manager Michelle Gonzales as suggesting that the blaze might have been deliberately lit.

“Somebody said that an ex-girlfriend had lit up a box on a balcony maybe or just outside one of the rooms,” Gonzales said.

“They’ve been having a lot of domestic fights lately,” she said.

Traffic delays continue.

Join Music Feeds on Facebook

monitoring_string = "5ddc797c5ea15f4a20f5b456893873a5"