M.I.A. has revealed her U.S. record label have sent her back to work on her forthcoming album Matangi, because they want her to “darken it up a bit”.
The English alternative star – who has been in the country lately for Summadayze and Summafieldayze – told the Gold Coast Bulletin her U.S. Label Interscope were a bit surprised when she handed them the original finished product late last year.
“It’s due in April, which is the Tamil new year – April 15th – and I’m still working on it,” she said.
“I thought I’d finished it. I finished it and then I handed the record in, like a couple of months ago. It’s like ‘We just built you up as the public enemy No. 1 and now you’re coming out with all this positive stuff.”
M.I.A’s performances in Australia have received a bit of a bad wrap, with PerthNow saying her set at Summadayze Perth was that bad, it’s already “vying for the title of Most Disappointing Live Performance of the Year.”
- That’s Beef: 11 Of The Lamest Feuds In Music
- M.I.A. And Janelle Monáe Perform As Holograms At Each Other’s Shows
- NFL Seeking An Additional $15.1 Million For M.I.A’s Super Bowl Bird Flip
- M.I.A. Now Hiring After Roc Nation Split
- M.I.A. Documentary ‘Definitely Happening’ Says Director