Those of you hanging for news on whether Metallica will be playing their classic 1991 self-titled record (aka The Black Album) in full at Soundwave 2013 now have your answer, albeit probably not the one you wanted to hear.
Festival boss AJ Maddah has confirmed that the band will NOT be doing a Black Album set at Soundwave, which they had done in their performances at a string of European festivals last year.
Maddah confirmed the news via his Twitter account this weekend after a fan quizzed him on rumours that appeared on a Metallica fan forum, indicating that the Soundwave slots were not going to be Black Album shows.
“Not a rumour. They’re not doing Black album,” he tweeted.
Fans got into a flurry about the possibility of Black Album shows last month after it was revealed that Metallica were bringing a ‘snakepit’ style barrier/catwalk system for their performances.
The ‘Snakepit’ set-up was originally introduced by the band in the 90s as a way of getting closer to fans as they played bigger venues. Metallica then brought back the diamond shaped section when they did the European festival shows last year, and hence, the set-up has since been synonymous with the record in a live setting.
Soundwave 2013 kicks off in Brisbane on February 23, taking in Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide before finishing in Perth on March 4. All legs of the festival are sold out.
@anrudd Not a rumour. They’re not doing Black album.
— AJ (@iamnotshouting) February 1, 2013
- Metallica’s Lars Ulrich Outs Himself As A Lifelong Oasis Fan
- Metallica: 27 Live CDs, 4 Live Vinyl, 1 Big-Ass Box Set
- Watch Jack White Cover Metallica At Glastonbury
- Watch Metallica’s Playful Video Response To Glastonbury Protestors
- Lars Ulrich Accepts Will Ferrell And Chad Smith’s Drum Battle Challenge
- Will Ferrell & Chad Smith Set Sights On Lars Ulrich For Next Drum-Off