Slayer frontman Tom Araya believes it’s “exciting” to have Jon Dette rejoin the band as their fill-in drummer for their Australian shows.
Speaking to Christina Rowatt for Soundwave TV, Araya shed more light on the band’s decision to recruit Dette for the shows following Dave Lombado’s removal from the tour over an alleged pay dispute.
Dette was originally behind the kit for Slayer for three years in the 1990s – and Araya reckons he has upped his skills dramatically since then.
“He actually played in the band [in the late 1990s] for, like, three years. It’s gonna be good. He’s matured and I’m sure he’s gotten much better on the drums. It’ll be exciting, and I think that’s just gonna pump everything up even more. I can tell you this: Jon’s gonna have a lot of energy. He’s known to play very fast, and he’s gotten better at that.”
Araya also gave the impression that Dette was their sole go-to man when deciding who should fill Lombardo’s spot on drums for the tour.
“It was just a name that we pulled out of our hat,” Araya laughed. “It was a huge fucking hat, and it had one name in it.”
Check out the full interview here – and some pics of Slayer performing at Soundwave in Sydney earlier today below that:
PHOTOS: Slayer at Soundwave SydneySwipe/tap ← or →
- Motörhead Recruit Slayer, Anthrax & More For 2015 Motörboat Cruise
- Former Slayer Drummer Joins Aussie Metal Supergroup
- Amnesia Rockfest’s 2015 Lineup Is A Heavy Music Lover’s Dream
- Slayer Rescue Super Cute Kitten, Makes Internet Say ‘Awww’
- Thrash Metal Meets Cheese In This Slayer Pizza
- Former Drummer Says Slayer Is Missing Its “Magic”