Organisers of Bluesfest Byron Bay have provided an update regarding refunds for the cancelled 2020 edition of the festival, and made a significant announcement about next year’s event.
2020 Bluesfest was called off less than a month out from the event, after the government banned large gatherings and events. Since then, the only update from organisers or Festival Director Peter Noble OAM was to declare that next year’s dates have been locked in for Thursday 1st April to Monday, 5th April.
At that time, Noble said that representatives for the festival were in conversations with insurance companies, and that their claim was being processed.
Now in a post to Facebook, Bluesfest organisers have revealed a special announcement about the 2021 festival. Usually, Bluesfest drip feeds its lineups over a period of months, but for next year’s event they’ll be dropping a big whopping block of names.
“For the first time in Bluesfest history we intend to simultaneously release a first announcement of 50 artists confirmed to appear. We are truly grate for your ongoing patience and support,” it reads, while also teasing that the announcement “is only a matter of weeks away.”
There was also an update for patrons waiting on news about refunds, with a timeframe to be available shortly.
“Our insurers Lloyds of London have advised our claim for cancellation is moving forward,” organisers said. “We understand many of you are doing it tough, so please be assured we will begin the process as soon as we receive the funds.”
Things look promising on the refund front as well, with the statement revealing that Bluesfest are “the only festival in Australia that had ‘pandemic’ cover.”
“In these times, we do need to advise, that Bluesfest was cancelled by Government order three weeks prior to the event. Since that time we have had no income, and won’t until we launch Bluesfest 2021.”
The 2020 festival lineup included the likes of Dave Matthews Band, Crowded House, Patti Smith, Lenny Kravitz, George Benson and more.