Contrary to earlier rumours that AC/DC may be closing in on their retirement, a new report suggests the legendary Aussie rockers may not be breaking up, and in fact may be entering the studio this year.
The Australian reports claims from a music industry source saying AC/DC are booked into a recording studio in Vancouver, Canada for six weeks from 1st May.
Retirement reports appeared this morning, after Perth radio station 6PR‘s Rumour Mill segment read out an email sent to them yesterday (Monday, 14th) by a person who identified themselves as “Thunderstruck”.
The email read:
“I have extremely good contacts in Europe that are very close to AC/DC. I have it on very good authority that one of the band members is quite ill and has returned to Australia with his family. AC/DC members have previously made a pact that no band members will be replaced should someone need to leave the band. No more is currently being said, however the particularly ill member of AC/DC’s son has stated that AC/DC may well be over.”
Radio station 3AW were also contacted by a caller identifying as “Rock Band”, who told them that the band would announce its end today. Veteran show business commentator Peter Ford then told 3AW, “My information is we may never hear them perform or record EVER again,” and said he is looking into the rumour. 6PR now believe that an official statement is coming from the band some time today.
Albert Music, headquarters for AC/DC in Australia since 1973, is not currently taking any media enquiries according to Fairfax, which could be a sign that the rumour of retirement could even be a surprise to them.
AC/DC was formed in November 1973 by brothers Malcolm and Angus Young, and are one of the highest-grossing bands of all time. Earlier this year it was reported that AC/DC are planning on returning to the recording studio sometime in May, while also anticipating a tour of 40 concerts in celebration of their 40th anniversary.
More on this story as new information comes to hand.