Well, actually, they outed themselves. During an acceptance speech for the ‘Best International Band’ gong at the NME Awards 2015, the Fooies dropped the unexpected bombshell, confirming their headlining slot at this year’s instalment of the monster UK festival.
Dave Grohl and his merry men were unable to attend the ceremony in person, but sent in a video acceptance speech, thanking rock legend Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders for presenting them with the award, before exposing their high-profile summer slot.
“Thank you Chrissie for presenting this award to us,” Grohl said. “This is amazing, we love you very much, but we also love all of the fans for voting for our band for this award. We’re very thankful and very happy – sorry we couldn’t make it tonight, but we will be seeing you over the summer at some big outdoor festival that nobody knows we’re playing. It’s Glastonbury! So we’ll see you at Glastonbury – thanks a lot everybody!”
The news has since been corroborated by the good people at Glastonbury, who’ve confirmed that the Foos will be headlining the festival’s Friday night festivities. “We’re very pleased to confirm that Foo Fighters will return to Glastonbury for the first time since 1998 to headline the Pyramid Stage on the Friday of this year’s Festival,” they said in a statement.
Foo Fighters are the first of three headliners to be announced for Glastonbury 2015, with Australia’s own AC/DC hotly rumoured to be another contender. The event was last year headlined by metal gods, Metallica
Foo Fighters are about to get cracking on their mammoth Sonic Highways Australian tour, which kicks off next Tuesday, February 24th in Brisbane.
Check out the Foos’ Glastonbury announcement video, below.
Watch: Foo Fighters – Glastonbury Festival Announcement