Iron Maiden are back, announcing their first studio album in five years, The Book Of Souls.
The LP, which is due in September, will represent a number of milestones for the legendary heavy metal act. Not only will it be their first ever double album, spanning 11 tracks, it will also dish up Maiden’s longest ever song, Empire Of The Clouds, which reportedly clocks in at over 18 minutes.
Two tracks on the album, including Empire Of the Clouds, were written exclusively by frontman Bruce Dickinson – the first time that’s happened on a Maiden record since 1984’s Powerslave.
The LP itself was recorded in Paris with their longstanding producer Kevin “Caveman” Shirley in late 2014, but its release has been delayed while Dickinson recuperates from a cancer diagnosis. Thankfully, doctors have since declared the frontman cancer-free.
“We’re really excited about The Book Of Souls and had a fantastic time creating it,” Dickinson said in a statement. “…We were delighted to discover the same magical vibe is still alive and very much kicking there! So we immediately felt at home and the ideas just started flowing. By the time we’d finished we all agreed that each track was such an integral part of the whole body of work that if it needed to be a double album, then double its going to be!”
Iron Maiden, who headlined Soundwave 2011, have promised to resume touring early next year, to give time for their frontman “to make a full physical recovery to be ready for the rigours of Maiden live performances.”
Their whopping 16th studio album, The Book of Souls, will be released worldwide on September 4th.
Check out the ripper cover art and full tracklisting, below.
Watch: Iron Maiden – The Trooper Live @ Soundwave, Brisbane 2011
The Book Of Souls – Cover Art
The Book Of Souls – Tracklisting
1. If Eternity Should Fail (Dickinson) 8:28
2. Speed Of Light (Smith/ Dickinson) 5:01
3. The Great Unknown (Smith/ Harris) 6:37
4. The Red And The Black (Harris) 13:33
5. When The River Runs Deep (Smith/ Harris) 5:52
6. The Book Of Souls (Gers/ Harris) 10:27
7. Death Or Glory (Smith/ Dickinson) 5:13
8. Shadows Of The Valley (Gers/ Harris) 7:32
9. Tears Of A Clown (Smith/ Harris) 4:59
10. The Man Of Sorrows (Murray/ Harris) 6:28
11. Empire Of The Clouds (Dickinson) 18:01