With The Rolling Stones‘ Perth Arena show now confirmed as cancelled, the remainder of their 14 On Fire tour hangs in limbo as fans, many of whom booked flights and accommodation in order to see the legendary rockers, wait for an official word from the band’s management or promoter.
Many have begun inundating the social media channels of Frontier Touring with pleas for more information, while Perth Now reports that Frontier’s Michael Gudinski, who previously told Music Feeds, “I never thought I’d be working with The Rolling Stones,” is trying to schedule new dates.
Perth Now spoke to one man, 49-year-old Philadelphian Jeffrey Gussin, a former Stones roadie and longtime fan who said he was planning on spending $15,000 following the legendary band around on their Australian tour. With the tour’s future uncertain, Mr Gussin will likely fly back home.
Meanwhile, messages like, “Come on Frontier Touring, the silence is deafening!” continue to flood the promoter’s official Facebook page. One fan who spent the entirety of his share of the inheritance from his late father’s estate to see the band pleaded, “PLEASE don’t cancel your tour Mick!!!!”
Though while some are merely desperate for an answer, others have criticised Frontier’s handling of what is a very delicate and complicated situation. “This has been handled very badly. This impacts a lot of companies and people,” wrote one user, critical of Frontier’s incommunicative position.
Others still have criticised what they view as insensitivity on the part of fans, with one user writing, “Some people should be absolutely disgusted with their behaviour. Frontier have no control of anything that has happened and are doing their best to meet [everyone’s] expectations.”
Adelaide fans in particular seem eager for answers, with some outlets reporting that the band’s Saturday, 22nd March show at the Adelaide Oval will almost certainly be cancelled. Adelaide Oval management have now issued an official statement via their website, in which they write:
“We have been informed by promoters Frontier Touring that the Rolling Stones concert in Perth will not be going ahead as scheduled following the extremely sad events overnight in New York.
“As yet, there is still no official decision about Saturday’s concert at the Adelaide Oval. We continue to liaise with the promoters and will provide an update when more information becomes available.
“We – like all fans – are deeply sorry for Mick Jagger and the family and friends of L’Wren Scott and offer our heartfelt condolences.”
The future of the Rolling Stones’ heavily anticipated 14 On Fire tour was first put in doubt this morning, when reports surfaced that frontman Mick Jagger‘s longtime partner, 49-year-old fashion designer and former model L’Wren Scott, was found dead in her NYC apartment on Monday.