News

Sydney arts centre Carriageworks has gone into voluntary administration

Sad news for Sydney’s arts and culture community today, as arts centre Carriageworks have announced they have gone into voluntary administration amid the coronavirus pandemic.

After reports circled the news last night, the centre confirmed it on social media and to the press earlier this morning.

“Carriageworks generates 75% of its revenue outside of government funding, primarily through on-site events and programs,” a spokesperson said via The Guardian.

These on-site events include the Sydney Writers’ Festival, Mercedez-Benz Fashion Week, multiple concerts as part of Sydney’s VIVID Festival and more.

“The sudden cancellation or postponement of six months of activities due to restrictions on public gatherings has resulted in an irreparable loss of income,” the statement continued.

According to Chief Executive, Blair French, all of Carriageworks’ casual staff and half of its permanent staff have been stood down.

“During this time [Carriageworks] has become a Sydney institution attracting one million visitors a year to the site in Redfern and up to 5,000 people every Saturday to the Carriageworks Farmers Market,” French said in a statement via the centre’s website.

“But with restrictions on social gatherings likely to remain in place for some time to come, the Board determined that it had no alternative but to place the company into Voluntary Administration.”

“The Board remain hopeful that the Carriageworks facility will be able re-open to artists and community alike once NSW emerges from the effects of the current pandemic.”

Latest on Music Feeds

Load more