The Growl’s Marc Earley Speaks Out About Unprovoked Attack

The Growl bassist Marc Earley has issued a statement regarding the career-threatening unprovoked attack against him, after the crowd funding campaign set up by band member Cam Avery to pay for Marc’s surgery hit the target of $20, 000 within twenty four hours of going live.

The attack occurred at an Oporto restaurant on Oxford St in Sydney’s Surry Hills, at around 3am Monday, 2nd February after the band had performed at the Sydney Laneway festival. The attacker reportedly blinded Earley with one hand and intentionally broke the ring finger on the musician’s left hand at a right angle, causing fractures.

“This truly is my worst nightmare and while in the past few days it’s been incredibly hard comprehending the impact this injury will have on my abilities to keep playing music,” wrote Earley in a statement.

“Seeing all the support from everyone has been the best positive distraction for me,” he continued. “Thanks to everyone’s donations I’ve been able to get the best hand surgeon in WA as well be under the best rehab care available. There is no way this could have happened without everyone’s support.”

On Tuesday, Cam Avery, lead singer of the Fremantle four-piece, posted a plea on the crowd-funding website for fans to help pay for Earley’s emergency surgery and rehabilitation, which cost $20,000. That target was exceeded before 6pm on Wednesday after nearly 700 people made donations.

“Being a week to week working musician Marc doesn’t have health or income insurance,” wrote Avery. “If you can spare anything to help Marc make a full recovery and get through this tough spot a donation would be so appreciated. His hands are his life.”

Avery said his band mate, who is also an upright bassist in the Australian jazz community, will have to undegro emergency surgery as well as attend occupational therapy everyday after his surgery if he is to regain the full use of his hand. Earley confirmed this in his statement today.

“My injury is very serious, with only a 50% chance of regaining normal movement,” he explained. “I will be going into surgery tomorrow and then entering in an intensive daily rehab program. I’m not expected to see the true idea of how successful the procedure was until the 12-month mark.”

According to Fairfax, New South Wales police have issued a description of the man alleged to have made the attack. Police described the alleged attacker as being in his 40s, with an olive complexion, of solid stocky build, standing 178cm tall, with short brown hair and hazel eyes. He was wearing “a thick gold chain around his neck [and wore] a light blue T-shirt and light-coloured shorts”.

The band have previously specified that Earley’s attacker “did not appear to be intoxicated or under the influence.” While Earley undertakes surgery and recovery he will be replaced by Pond guitarist Nick Allbrook for the remainder of The Growl’s Laneway festival performances in Adelaide and Fremantle.

“I am eternally grateful for everyone’s support, as well my family, friends, band mates, and especially my brother Cam Avery for organising this whole fundraiser,” said Earley. “It’s thanks to all of you that I have the best chance of recovering from this terrible incident.”

Anyone with information are urged by police to contact CrimeStoppers on 1800 333 000.

Latest on Music Feeds

Load more