Australia’s National Indigenous Music Awards (NIMA) has announced the finalists in the running for 2011′s accolades, with Gurrumul, Dan Sultan and Jessica Mauboy the notable names among the nominees.
Gurrumul Yunupingu is up for Song of the Year for both Gathu Mawala and Mala Rrakala – he is up against competition from Stiff Gins, Leah Flanagan, The Medics and Frank Yamma.
Gurrumul’s album Rrakala is up for Best Album along with records by Flanagan, Yamma, Mauboy and Saltwater Band. He is also in the running against Mauboy and Sultan for Act of the Year.
The full list of nominations can be found at the official NIMA website.
Triple J reports that this year’s awards see the event go national after existing as a purely Northern Territory thing for seven years. The award ceremony will take place on August 19 at The Amphitheatre Gardens in Darwin, with performances on the night from Sultan, Warumpi and No Fixed Address.
- Nick Cave, Boy & Bear Lead APRA 2014 Song Of The Year Shortlist
- Dan Sultan Takes Us Through ‘Blackbird’ Track-By-Track
- Dan Sultan National Tour Dates Announced
- Triple J’s One Night Stand 2014 Location Revealed
- Triple J’s One Night Stand 2014 Lineup And Date Revealed