Image for Sydney, Melbourne Soundwave 2016 Venues Are Not Booked

Sydney, Melbourne Soundwave 2016 Venues Are Not Booked

Written by Music Feeds on December 17, 2015

UPDATE 17/12/15 5.50pm: Soundwave 2016 has been officially cancelled.

In another foreboding revelation about the prospects of Soundwave 2016 actually going ahead, it seems like the festival’s advertised venues have not yet been booked.

A mere 37 days out from kickoff, there are no confirmed bookings for SW at the locations listed on the festival’s ticketing website.

Eventopia lists the official Soundwave venues as Sydney Olympic Park, RAS Melbourne Showground and Brisbane Showgrounds, but speaking with Music Feeds, none of the sites could confirm plans for the respective legs of the festival to be held there at all.

General Manager of Sydney Showground, Peter Thorpe, told us that there is currently “no booking for January 24th 2016” at the venue, the date of the festival’s Sydney leg. While he said there were talks with Soundwave “about 7 months ago”, nothing has ever been confirmed.

A spokesperson for Melbourne Showground has advised Music Feeds that there is no current contract for a booking between Soundwave and the venue. While the Melbourne venue say they have been “in talks” with Soundwave, they are awaiting confirmation that the festival has met certain requirements before they can proceed with a booking.

The listed Brisbane venue are remaining tight-lipped, referring all Soundwave-related inquiries on to promoter AJ Maddah.

The news does not bode well, as punters – many of whom have already bought tickets or even booked interstate flights and accommodation – await an announcement about whether Soundwave 2016 will actually go ahead.

International act L7 pulled the plug on their appearance today, citing “circumstances beyond their control”.

Earlier this week, Bring Me The Horizon said that they weren’t 100% confirmed for the event. And in a statement yesterday organiser AJ Maddah said that ticketing company Eventopia had failed “to give SW a scheduled advance to pay deposits to NOFX and [Bring Me The Horizon].”

At this stage it’s still unclear whether Bring Me The Horizon will play, even if the festival somehow does happen.

Maddah was expected to announce the fate of the 2016 event yesterday, but he’s yet to give an update.

Soundwave will not go ahead in 2017.

RELATED: Here’s How Much Money Soundwave 2015 Acts Are Owed

RELATED: The Truth Behind The Death Of Soundwave Festival

Gallery: 11 Unforgettable Soundwave Festival Moments

Join Music Feeds on Facebook

monitoring_string = "5ddc797c5ea15f4a20f5b456893873a5"