CONTENT WARNING: The following article discusses sexual assault
After being arrested and charged with ten counts of aggravated sexual abuse last week, and subsequently released after paying US $100,000 bail, R. Kelly has strongly denied the allegations in a new interview.
In a preview of an interview with CBS’ Gayle King, Kelly tearfully denies all past and current allegations against him.
“I’ll sit here and say this, I had two cases back then that I said at the beginning of the interview that I would not talk about because of my ongoing case now,” he said. “But, I will tell you this: people are going back to my past and they’re trying to add all of this stuff now to that, to make all of the stuff that’s going on now feel real to people.”
“I don’t need to [hold girls against their will],” he says later. “Why would I? How stupid would that be for R. Kelly, with all I’ve been through in my way, way past, to hold somebody … how stupid would I be to do that? That’s stupid guys. That’s stupid. Use your common sense. Forget the blogs. Forgot how you feel about me.”
“Stop it. Y’all quit playing. I didn’t do this stuff. This is not me. I’m fighting for my fucking life.”
If Kelly is found guilty of all the charges against him, he could face up to 70 years in prison.
Watch the clip of the interview below.
UPDATE 07/03/19: R. Kelly Taken Into Police Custody For $160k Unpaid Child Support
If you need assistance, 1800 RESPECT – the National Sexual Assault, Domestic
and Family Violence Counselling Service — can be reached on 1800 737 732.
For help or information regarding mental health, contact Lifeline on 13 11 14 or
Beyond Blue on 1300 224 636.
NEW: R&B singer R. Kelly, charged with aggravated sexual abuse, angrily denied the accusations in a new interview with @GayleKing, insisting the claims are “rumors” & “not true.”
— CBS Evening News (@CBSEveningNews) March 5, 2019