Two teenagers have been rushed to hospital during the Maitland leg of Groovin The Moo after suffering suspected drug overdoses.
According to SMH, paramedics responded to reports that a girl had overdosed on an unnamed substance, arriving at the scene around 2.30pm on Saturday.
She was taken to Newcastle’s John Hunter hospital in a critical condition.
At around the same time, a male teenager was also transported to Maitland Hospital after suffering a suspected OD, but his condition was listed as stable.
The ages of the two teens and the substances they reportedly took are not yet known, but we’ll keep you up to date with any more info as it develops.
It’s the latest in a spate of drug-related tragedies at music festivals across NSW, after 25-year-old Alice Choi lost her life at the Sydney leg of Stereosonic and another woman suffered a near-fatal overdose at Field Day.
The state government has threatened to shut down music festivals if the drug overdoses don’t stop, but have also flat-out refused to do anything about it themselves, such as implement a harm minimisation strategy like pill-testing.
Meanwhile a group of leading Australian health experts have moved to independently bankroll a pill-testing trial, vowing to defy Premier Mike Baird’s ultra-conservative regime and even endure mass arrests if it means preventing more fatal drug overdoses.