The BBC have reported that an 82-year-old Australian entertainer has been arrested on suspicion of sex offences, as Operation Yewtree broaden their investigation into child sex claims against the late Jimmy Savile.
According to a police statement, released a few hours ago, an 82-year-old man from Berkshire, UK was arrested some time last night. The Met have yet to release the name of the individual involved.
Tom Savage, editor of The Daily Star newspaper, has tweeted that the man in custody is Rolf Harris.
This recent arrest comes from Operation Yewtree investigations under the category of “Others”, defined as relating to alleged complaints against other people unconnected to the Jimmy Savile investigations but, according to the police spokesperson, “generally people who were in the public spotlight at around that time”.
A bail hearing will be held some time in May.
More to come.
Police from Operation Yewtree arrest 82-year-old man from Berkshire on suspicion of sexual offences.
— BBC Breaking News (@BBCBreaking) March 28, 2013
BREAKING: Entertainer Rolf Harris, 82, was yesterday arrested by detectives from Operation Yewtree on suspicion of sexual offences.
— Tom Savage (@journotom) March 29, 2013
Strange media not naming Rolf Harrisafter Police interviews in widened Jimmy Saville inquiry. Would name footballer here if accused.
— Derryn Hinch (@HumanHeadline) March 29, 2013
- Rolf Harris Drops Appeal Against Assault Convictions
- Rolf Harris Hit With More Abuse Claims As Class Action Looms
- Rolf Harris Sentence Referred To UK Attorney-General For Being “Unduly Lenient”
- Rolf Harris Has Been Kicked Out Of The ARIA Hall Of Fame
- Rolf Harris Guilty On All 12 Indecent Assault Charges
- Rolf Harris Pleads Not Guilty, Trial Date Set