MegaUpload’s large storage of files could be removed this week according to US federal prosecutors, possibly as soon as Thursday, even though the company claims that millions of its users store their own data, including personal files such as family photos and documents.
No one has been able to access their data since the US government closed down the site earlier this month and arrested several people involved with the popular file sharing site, including owner Kim Dotcom.
According to the NZ Herald, a letter sent in the case on Friday by the US Attorney’s Office says that the storage centers Carpathia Hosting Inc. and Cogent Communications Group Inc could begin deleting data Thursday, though a spokespersons for the two companies and for the U. Attorney did not respond to messages Sunday night.
MegaUpload attorney Ira Rothke says they are working with prosecutors to try to keep the data from being deleted, and at least 50 million MegaUpload users have data in danger of being erased.