Great news Pearl Jam fans – the band will definitely be releasing a new studio album this year, if guitarist Mike McCready gets his way.
McCready has told Rolling Stone that the band’s follow-up to their well-received 2009 effort Backspacer will be out “this year, for sure”, and that seven songs for the record are “relatively completed”.
“But then we have an additional 15 ready to go aside from any that Eddie (Vedder) brings in, so we’ll weed through those,” McCready added.
“We’re excited to get it done, because we’ve kind of been waiting for about two years to do it.”
Pearl Jam will once again be working with Brendan O’Brien to create the currently-untitled new record – the fifth that the producer and the band have collaborated on.
McCready said that the record is gearing up to be an experimental one – with hints of Pink Floyd one minute and punk rock the next.
“I would say as a cliché answer it’s kind of a logical extension of what Backspacer was,” he says. “But I think there’s a little bit more experimental stuff going on. There’s a Pink Floyd vibe to some of it, there’s a punk rock edge to other stuff.”
- Former Pearl Jam Manager Jailed For Stealing From The Band
- Watch Arcade Fire & Pearl Jam Team Up At Perth’s Last Big Day Out
- Watch Pearl Jam’s Big Day Out Cover Songs
- Big Day Out 2014 – Flemington Racecourse, Melbourne 24/01/14
- Pearl Jam Bassist Breaks Fan’s Nose, Fan Says “Worth It”