Great news Pearl Jam fans – the band will definitely be releasing a new studio album this year, if guitarist Mike McCready gets his way.
McCready has told Rolling Stone that the band’s follow-up to their well-received 2009 effort Backspacer will be out “this year, for sure”, and that seven songs for the record are “relatively completed”.
“But then we have an additional 15 ready to go aside from any that Eddie (Vedder) brings in, so we’ll weed through those,” McCready added.
“We’re excited to get it done, because we’ve kind of been waiting for about two years to do it.”
Pearl Jam will once again be working with Brendan O’Brien to create the currently-untitled new record – the fifth that the producer and the band have collaborated on.
McCready said that the record is gearing up to be an experimental one – with hints of Pink Floyd one minute and punk rock the next.
“I would say as a cliché answer it’s kind of a logical extension of what Backspacer was,” he says. “But I think there’s a little bit more experimental stuff going on. There’s a Pink Floyd vibe to some of it, there’s a punk rock edge to other stuff.”
- Eddie Vedder’s Cover Of John Lennon’s ‘Imagine’ Will Give You Goosebumps
- Eddie Vedder’s Anti-War Post Needs To Be Read By Everyone
- Eddie Vedder Explains Pearl Jam’s ‘Let It Go’ Cover
- Watch Pearl Jam Cover ‘Frozen’s ‘Let It Go’
- Eminem, Beck, Outkast & More to Headline 2014 Austin City Limits