Established three years ago, The Sydney Underground Film Festival continues to provide a platform for the development and promotion of work by emerging and more established filmmakers around the globe and continues to nurture a growing alternative film culture in Sydney. The festival has gone from strength to strength, growing each year in films, screenings, and attendance figures. Its director Stefan Popescu was named as one of Sydney’s top 100 ‘creative catalysts’ earlier this year.
Held over four nights, the Sydney Underground Film Festival will include twenty-two screenings of more than 120 quality Australian and International films on two screens at The Factory Theatre, Marrickville.
Says director Popescu: “Anyone interested in alternative, provocative, artistic and plain wonderful films can eat, breath – and yes, smell – SUFF in September!”
There’s the Comedy Corner featuring hilarious shorts, Re-Animation (animated shorts), two sessions of Cinexperiment (experimental films), Titillations (women’s films), Reality Bites (documentaries), Love/Sick (exploring intimacy, love and sex), Recycled Cinema (literally film created from rubbish), Christ Kid You’re a Weirdo (bizarre films!) and of course the popular closing night awards ceremony and party.
Festival Feature Film Highlights:
* The Yes Men Fix The World –Bichlbaum & Bonanno pose as top executives and expose crime & greed
* Pink Flamingos – Bad taste has never smelt so good. John Waters brilliant sequel to Polyester – in ‘Odorama’ with scratch and sniff
* American Swing – Forget Studio 54, the swinging action is at Plato’s Retreat
* Porn Dogs – After this comedy by Greg Blatman, you’ll never look at your dog the same way again…
* Chevolution – A 1960 photo of Che Guevara became the icon of not one but many generations. This is its story.
* White Lightnin’ – Inspired by Jesco White “the dancing outlaw”, this is irresistible white-trash psychobilly!
* It Came From Kuchar – The story of outrageous, groundbreaking film-making brothers George & Mike Kuchar
* Penelope – A lavish, arresting cinematic feast taken from Homer. By Ben Ferris.
* Myrna Has Gone – Myrna risks all to resolve a terrible dilemma. Challenging cinema with a 33 min ‘rape’ scene
* Blue Gold: World Water Wars – As water becomes a commodity, a line is crossed. Will we survive water wars?
* Life with Ashley – Disturbing and engrossing in equal part, an honest portrait by Aussie filmmaker Chris Butler
* Anywhere USA – The Big Lebowski meets American Beauty in Chusy Jardine’s intriguing portrait of America
Session tickets and special discounted festival passes including the opening and closing night parties are available for advance purchase now at www.suff.com.au/tickets or at each session.