Damon Albarn has been a mainstay in the entertainment headlines over the last six months. Sometimes his appearances are for positive reasons, like participating in an impromptu Parklife performance in a London pub, other times it’s because he lauded heroin as a creative aid.
He and the rest of Britpop giants Blur kind of entered Australia’s bad books back in November, after they cancelled their highly anticipated appearance on the Big Day Out roster without warning, for reasons that were later alleged to have revolved around inter-band fisticuffs while on tour.
But with a new solo album, talk of intriguing new collaborations, and even hints a new Gorillaz album, Albarn is slowly re-entering our good graces, and his recent reddit AMA is enough to warrant a Christmas card this year. Of course, it was nowhere near as educational as Lil Jon’s.
Watch: Damon Albarn – Lonely Press Play
1. He doesn’t really mind if you steal a Country House or Roll With It cassette.
2. He longs for the days of back-and-forth barbs between Britpop bands (we say feuds are alive and well).
3. He’s an advocate for healthy eating.
4. He has nothing but kind words for Blur guitarist Graham Coxon’s aroma.
5. He’s not the biggest fan of Blur’s 1995 album The Great Escape.
6. Why he chose Uruguay’s Palacio Salvo as cover art for one of his singles.
7. The Bee Gees’ Barry Gibb was meant to sing lead on the Gorillaz single Stylo.
8. The story of how he met the freaking Clash.
9. He doesn’t always dress himself, for some reason.
10. Blur has a future.