You might recognise Norwegian-Bulgarian singer Mikhael Paskalev as the trouserless figure channeling Tom Cruise in the video for the irrepressibly catchy indie-pop cut, I Spy, but did you know that he regularly eggs a music school in his hometown or what the first LP he bought was?
There’s probably a few things you didn’t know about this singular indie entity, who’ll be kicking off his latest Australian tour at the Alhambra Lounge in Brisbane on Tuesday, 4th March and releasing his debut album this Friday, so we got Mikhael to share a few personal tidbits:
1. I recently peed while sitting on the ground – fighting gravity.
2. I didn’t get into music school when I was 15 because I lacked talent. My dad was a teacher there. I sometimes egg their building.
3. I have worked as a baked potato salesman on a motorised trolley and as a phone salesman. I quit when the guy next to me tricked an 80-year-old woman into buying a subscription she clearly didn’t need. If the dude reads this, you are a tosser!
4. I have never stolen change from my mum, despite wanting to so bad as a kid.
5. When I was eight, my best mate had bullied me for years. I started doing karate in my room and then I broke his nose. A defining moment that I shouldn’t be proud of, but I clearly am.
6. The first album I ever bought was TLC’s CrazySexyCool.
7. I think the coolest thing in the world are family and kids and I want to have five of them.
8. I have never tried the games Counterstrike or World of Warcraft.
9. In my second year of high-school, I had 30 days and 90 hours unattended because I was busy in the canteen playing card games.
10. I will often be embarrassingly upset if I lose in a contest. No matter how “unimportant.”
We told you he was unique. Did you also know that Music Feeds is giving away a bunch of double passes to his Sydney show at the Oxford Art Factory tomorrow (Wednesday, 5th March) plus a free copy of his highly-anticipated debut studio album, What’s Life Without Losers? Well, we are.
To be in the draw to see Mikhael Paskalev live in Sydney and score a copy of his debut, send your full name, contact phone number, and email address to [email protected] with the subject line, “Mikhael Paskalev Giveaway”, and answer in 25 words or less:
“Which building do you want to egg and why?”
Winners will be the entrants with the most creative answer. Entries close at midday tomorrow (12:00pm AEDT Wednesday, 5th March 2014). Please note, Mikhael Paskalev at the Oxford Art Factory is an 18+ event, and best of luck!
See Paskalev in action when he comes into Music Feeds Studio this Thursday for the upcoming instalment of Music Feeds LIVE or hear a sleepy-eyed Paskalev chat to our Mike Hohnen at the crack of the Liverpool dawn about songwriting and the tour for Music Feeds Podcast Ep. #58.
Watch: Mikhael Paskalev – Jive Babe
Mikhael Paskalev East Coast Tour
Tuesday, 4th March 2014
Tix: Via OzTix
Wednesday, 5th March 2014
Oxford Art Factory, Sydney
Tix: Via MoshTix
Thursday, 30th January 2014
Tix: Via Howler