Police in South Australia have seized half a kilo of the drug ice, allegedly bound for the Adelaide leg of Stereosonic, which is being held today.
Officers apparently found the meth hidden inside a vacuum cleaner of all places, while raiding a home in the city’s north on Friday.
A 25-year-old man has been arrested and charged with trafficking in a commercial quantity of a controlled drug.
The arrest comes just one day after police in NSW arrested another man in relation to the death of a woman at the Sydney leg of Stereo last weekend.
Slyvia Choi died after reportedly drinking MDMA dissolved in a bottle of water at the music festival.
Police in Adelaide, Melbourne and Brisbane are on high alert following the tragedy, and have warned Stereo punters that they’ll be cracking down on illicit drug use, with police dogs to work in shifts throughout the respective festivals.
Stereo organisers have also warned punters not to play Russian roulette with their lives.
More than 100,000 people are expected to pack into stadiums across the three capital cities this weekend to check out artists like Armin Van Burren and Peking Duk at the supersized dance party.
An emergency doctor has issued his own warning for punters to take extra care in the hot summer temperatures, explaining that the damage wrought by taking drugs can be made all the more worse by the heat.
“The sorts of things we see are people who are unconscious because they have taken too much or we see people who’ve got too much serotonin in their system, which can drive your core body temperature up,” Royal Adelaide Hospital emergency physician and clinical toxicologist Sam Alfred explained to News Corp.
“That’s what can cause a lot of harm to people and often what kills is a hypothermia responsive breakdown of organic systems.”
His top tips include drinking water regularly (but not to excess), seeking shade, taking breaks and cooling down.
“The mechanism by which drugs cause damage is heat related. You couple that with a day that is almost 40 degrees and it’s a lethal cocktail.”
Take care of yourselves and each other, kiddies.