A 19-year-old woman has died after a suspected overdose at Harbourlife 2014. The teen was found convulsing and unconscious at the Sydney music festival, held yesterday Saturday, 8th November at Mrs Macquarie’s Point.
The unidentified Longueville woman was treated on the scene by paramedics at 4:38pm before being transferred to St Vincent’s Hospital, where she suffered multiple organ failure and died. Friends of the deceased told police she ingested one-and-a-half pills.
Harbourlife has issued a statement, via Facebook, confirming the incident. The statement sends sympathies to family of the woman and says event staff worked quickly to try and help the teen.
“Harbourlife has been held annually since 2003. It has a fully equipped first aid tent with an emergency doctor, 2 paramedics, 3 first responder medics, 2 supervisors and a communications officer.
“The patron collapsed at 4.37pm and event security called event fist aid. A paramedic was there at 4.38, a second at 4.41 and NSW ambulance paramedics were with the patient at 4.45.”
SMH reports an autopsy will take place in order to determine the exact cause of death.
78 people were arrested at Harbourlife for drug offenses at the festival. More than 5000 people attended the festival. Following the incident, City Central Local Area Command Inspector Stewart Leggat issued a warning on taking unknown, illicit substances.
“There’s little to no quality control in the production of illicit drugs. Quite simply, you don’t know what you are getting – seeking a synthetic high, could result in a serious injury or death.”
Police continue to investigate the situation and have urged anyone with further information to contact Crime Stoppers.